02 June 2008

Senseless Drive-By


I am still attempting to process what has happened in the past 24 hours. I received a phone call yesterday late afternoon from a fellow teacher telling me that a wonderful teacher is no longer with us.

While waiting to pick up her children from her mother's home she was a victim of a drive by shooting. It left her dead and her 3 children without a mother. She was an incredible teacher. Dedicated above and beyond to her students. She had the hardest teaching position in any school, Special Education. Ms. Prince was never without a smile or even temper. In the past year I never saw a frown or shortness of temper on her. Even when I wanted to pull my hair out because of one of my students, she would work with them and create a calm environment. She was the 7th grade Special Ed Teacher so my students were her students. She was always my partner for field trips and never without an excellent story.

Working with my students to process this was so hard on all of us. Ms. Prince went above and beyond in my school, as all of the teachers do that I have seen. It breaks my heart for her children and the students whose lives she touched.

The next few days will be difficult for the kids. What a horrific way to end a beautiful life that who truly gave back to the community.

No comments: