20 June 2008

Summertime

Haven't had much time to enjoy summer yet. Too much work to do around the house. I did get a new tattoo on Wednesday though. Once it heals a little more I'll post some awesome pics. I had to think about what really represented me. 21 years ago I got a tattoo that represented me. A part of my life that made me who I am. When I was disfellowshipped from the JW's (for smoking cigarettes)I was (and still am)considered an unholy goat. Someone who is worse than any other non-JW because I turned my back on the true god. I wanted a symbol to my rejection of that horrible life. I had just finished reading the Scarlet Letter and decided that I should I wanted a scarlet D to represent myself marked among the wicked. I know red ink would have to be touched up and didn't like the idea of the pain so I got it in black.

Now, 21 years later, what would be the one thing that would completely represent me and what I am. It came to me, coffee. When people spend enough time with me they begin to notice that I am never without a cup of coffee in my hand. From the time I get up to the time I go to bed, there is a cup of coffee in my hand. So, naturally, a cup of coffee was to be my next tattoo. It was pretty cool. I picked out an old time diner coffee cup that my grandparents had, complete with the green stripe. For the coffee itself I had to have it tan to represent the milk I take in my coffee. Although it hurt the closer he got to the elbow crease, it was so worth it! Once the reddness goes away from the steam lines (that are a light gray) it will look great. I am so happy I got this tattoo and can't wait for the next one. Of course I say that now. When the time comes I will be just as nervous as before. But at least I got my next tattoo before my 40th birthday, which is gulp, next year.

6 comments:

Johnny Yen said...

Good lord-- have I really known you since you were a teenager? I suddenly feel really old. Okay, the bunch of grey hair I have isn't helping either.

Bats in the Belfry said...

We're not old. I still have another year till 40 and tons of living still to do. Think of us as finely aged to perfection!

The Vegas Art Guy said...

I'll be 41 in a couple of months. No tattoos for me.

yet

Bats in the Belfry said...

You are never too old for a tattoo. My best friend went with me to get her first one. She's 38. Now she's hooked. She wanted to get another one that night.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Maybe not to old... But too broke! lol

I want to do something with a lamp of learning for a tattoo.

And I added you to my blog roll as well.

Bats in the Belfry said...

Cool.

I was thinking of getting a book tattoo with the academic year that I taught. One for each academic year. Too corny?