06 March 2008

Progress Reports

It's funny how a class full of students that refuse to be quiet, rarely turn in work, and are disrespectful become enraged when they see D's and F's on their progress reports. I waited until I was dismissing by the door to individually hand them out and push them out the door. Other teachers gave out the reports before we left. I was accosted by 10 students enraged by their grades, one student who gave me a high 5 because his Dad came to school a few weeks before after he received an F (he was pulling a C and was not only happy but very respectful), and one boy who looked almost at the point of tears because he got an F. He is a sweet boy but never seems to be able to keep his mouth closed. I usually have him as a helper to burn off his energy but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Tomorrow I will probably have 15 calls from parents who can't understand how I could give their child a grade of C, D, or F. What they should be asking is, why is their child earning those grades? Most of the parents who will call I have called several times about behavior issues. At least it is only Progress Report, not the actual 3rd quarter and I have the data to back up my grades.

No comments: