02 August 2008

First Day Of School On Monday

Our first day of school is on Monday. We've been having a bit of a heat wave here in Chicago. Well, I just read the forecast for Monday. We are to have a record temp of 98 degrees. With the humidity, temps will be about 105. Our school does not have AC. All the classrooms on the 3rd floor have a window unit which barely works. I was at school these past few days. With just me in the room it was still uncomfortable. The AC will be useless with 30+ students and myself.

I am so not a summer or heat person. I live for fall and winter. I'd rather have 10 feet of snow then a hot and humid day. It's funny, when I drove home yesterday, it was miserable when I left the school. By the time I got to the northside it felt 10 degrees cooler. Just hope I can make it through August.

I have no idea how many students will actually be in school on Monday. This is the first year of track E. I think a lot of students are going to wait till the rest of CPS goes back, on September 4th, to actually show up. If I were a parent at that school, I would not want my child to endure the heat. How could they get any learning done when they are melting?

Wish me luck.

5 comments:

The Vegas Art Guy said...

I'd like to say I feel bad about the heat. I'd really like to, but since I live in Las Vegas where it can bee 105 at midnight, I can't. Bring a decent sized fan that rotates for your room and if you can, open the door to get some airflow.

Bats in the Belfry said...

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the humidity. It was 97 in my classroom today without humidity. With humidity it was about 110. Nothing worse than a hot, sticky heat.

The door is always open and I have 4 fans in the windows. Heat wave should be over by Friday...If I don't melt first.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Have the fans blow out and not in. That will help you out. Good luck with the school year. I start orientation on Monday and then my internship a week later.

Bats in the Belfry said...

Good luck with your internship. I am so happy for you.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

I can't wait!