24 August 2008

This is England

I can't talk about school right now or I will go completely mad. I will post after Tuesday and the parent-teacher conference from HELL. It will be one of those make or break me's. The parent in question became verbally abusive to me during open house as I was presenting. It was so nasty and embarrassing that I could scream. All because his son got a 79% on his Federal Constitution Exam and he wanted his son to re-take it. As I had explained to him last year his son could re-take it AFTER all of the students who failed it had re-tested and passed. The grade does not even show up on the permanent record, only a pass/fail option. This man was so nasty to me even other parents were shocked. I teach in a 100% African-American school and have never had any issues with my color. But after this parents performance I can only conclude it was racially based. I am one of 5 white teachers in the school and the only one in the upper grades beyond 4th grade. I love my students and almost all of the parents I have met and conferenced with focus on their childrens' needs and recognize that I am there to aid in their child's success. This man spat words at me and kissed the butt of every other teacher. Anyone who has ever met me or seen me teach knows the type of person I am. I am the classroom mother type. I had one of my girls write me a letter telling me I was the first teacher who ever listened to her and that she thought of as a second mother. I have had parents e-mail me and tell me that they were so happy that I was their child's homeroom teacher again this year because of the positive influence I have on their child. It makes me so sad to think that children have such negative influences at home. The funny thing is, this man's son is an A student who is always respectful and trust-worthy. I will update with the meeting after Tuesday. I have no idea why he would want a meeting. Perhaps because I refused to give a set in stone date for the Illinois Constitution test. I informed the parents of the week I would like to give it but will not set the date until I see how the students are doing with the materials first. They may need more time. Not to mention the study groups I give for two weeks before the test. They have to be ready before I can set a date. He was really angry with me because I would not commit to a date. I gave a projected week. The first time I met this father was when his son passed the Federal exam last year. He came in yelling and screaming at me because a C is not acceptable in his house. He was so abusive to me that time that other teachers had to come into the room and stand beside for support. He was nice to them and yelled at me again because his son passed but not with a grade he wanted from him. The Assistant Principal had to come and lead him out of the school the first time. Lord knows how or what will set him off this time. I only hope there is enough room between him and the door. Because I will not be treated that way again. The last time was in a public forum. I will not allow myself to be verbally abused again. The only person who has any right to yell at me is my Grandmother. And she hasn't done that in years.

So, with all of that poison out of my system I will just briefly say, I LOVED the film This is England! The director really capture the spirit of the 80's and the skinhead movement. I was not a skinhead but have friends that were punks and skinheads. The story was about the two types of skinheads. The ones who dressed and listened to the music and the ones who took it to the extreme and later would become the neo-nazi skinheads. Caught up in the middle of the two movements was a young boy. It was such a touching and well laid out film that I bought it right away for my collection. It's a tough watch at times but well worth the few scenes you may have to cover your eyes for.

4 comments:

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Holy crap. When you meet with him have an administrator present.

And the school I am at is also 99.999999999% black as well.

Bats in the Belfry said...

I made sure to request one. Not only will I have a male administrator but also the entire 8th grade teaching team. I just wish more would be said of his abusive tone with me. They seem to ignore it. My husband is so angry he said he wants to take the day off of work just so he can sit outside of the office in case there is trouble.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Just stay calm during the meeting he really wants to drag you down to his level. Keep to the high road, it will piss him off even more.

I'll be rooting for you!

Bats in the Belfry said...

Funny thing, he didn't even bother to show. When I asked his son about it, the son said, "He said to just forget about it." All of that dram for nothing. Yet he still wants his son to take the Federal again, even though it will not show up anywhere. Too insane. The grade will count for nothing.

I think I will have the 7th Grade teacher grade the paper so there will be no biased in the results. Knowing this parent, he will say I marked things wrong that were correct.

Thanks for the support Vegas Art Guy. Good to know there are teachers out there who support you.