17 July 2008

Is Summer Break Really Over?


I can't believe summer is almost over! My school starts year-round this academic year so our students come back to school on August 4th. Prior to school beginning, I have 5 days of professional development and a meet and greet with parents on the 21st of July. It will be nice to be back in the classroom, but I have to be honest, it was REALLY nice being home. I have been cooking a ton of soups and freezing them in individual containers. After the cream of tomato garden that is just finishing on the stove, I will have enough soup for lunch, with 5 different types, for the first 2 months of school. I have really been trying to eat helthier and make tons of fresh vegetables.


I am so excited about teaching the Civil War this year. After I get through with the Illinois Constitution Exams, I will begin the Civil War. So much of Chicago History can be incorporated into lessons it will be great. I tought a Chicago History class when I was teaching high school. I developed the whole thing and had such a good time teaching it.


I have been spending a lot of time at Powells Bookstore. One of the best academic used stores. Their Chicago section is amazing. I have been doing a lot of trading with Powell's. What's great about them, either they will give cash or give a bigger dollar amount if you purchase. My husband and I have been like kids in a candy store.


One of the great things about summer in the city, the Museums! Here's Ethan when we went to the Field Museum.



Bye-bye summer.

2 comments:

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Did you get the Civil War miniseries that Ken Burns did? I know, stupid question! I start orientation at the Andre Agassi Academy on August 11th so I'm right there with you. But I am so excited to be at one school for a whole year. While I enjoyed the exposure of all those different classrooms while subbing, I was happiest when I had stability. Now I get that as well. Yipee!

Bats in the Belfry said...

That is wonderful! What grade will you be teaching? Sounds like 8th grade as well.

About the Civil War miniseries, sure did.

Another tool I like to use in the classroom is, during the settling of the colonies, Colonial House, and foe mid to late 1800's, Pioneer House. Both from PBS. If you get a change to use them, do. They are a bit pricey, but so worth it.

Congrats again on the position!