02 January 2007

A Quiet Moment

My pc caught a virus and I have been off line for the past week and a half. It took all of that time to move files, reformat the hard drive, and re-install the operating system. Finally the old girl is up and running. Still missing some drivers for audio but I can live with that.

On top of that I have had a visitor for the past 4 days I have had a visitor, my sister from Virginia. We spent New Years Eve in the hospital. She is fine but when it comes to health you can never take chances.

I am trying so hard to get back to some sense of normal here. She is leaving tomorrow morning so at least the boy will get his bed back. I know it's hard having guests. She'd offered to sleep on the couch but she sleeps late and it puts everything on hold.

Good news is, after trying 6 different medications from the doctor and increasing the dosage several times, my blood pressure was 128/85 last night. It felt pretty good to have it look normal. Now if I can keep it that way I'll be in pretty good shape.

I was looking over my Goals list for 2006 and am happy to say that out of the 25 things I had on the list I completed 9. I wish it could have been more. I'm still torn if I should count #1 on my list. Find a job I love. See, I love teaching but I do not have a job I love. I love my students but I have no benefits, the salary is very low compared with public schools, and the hours of time in the building are longer than required by public schools. I already get to work at 7 am but they require you to stay till 3 everyday. So, does it count if I love what I do but not where I do it?

My biggest success from the list was creating a savings box. I made a box with a small slit in it and sealed it. I vowed to put in a dollar a day for the whole year of 2006. I would also throw in pocket change and an extra dollar or 2 every once and a while. I finally opened the box yesterday and was amazed that I had over $600 in the box! It was so hard not to open it for the whole year but I was sure glad I didn't. I am so proud of myself. Of course the tellers at the bank today will not be so happy to see me walk in today, especially with $12 worth of pennies.

2006 was not a great year but it sure could have been a hell of a lot worse.

No comments: