09 January 2007

Drug Awareness Month

As it is Drug Awareness month at my school I chose to do something a little different than I normally do. Usually I write a quote for each theme from a President or famous person as it relates to the topic. Though I find them amusing and witty, it is not always the case with my students. This month was a little different.

The following is the quote I put on the board:

Needlework the way, never you betray
life of death becoming clearer
Pain monopoly, ritual misery
chop your breakfast on a mirror
Taste me you will see
more is all you need
you're dedicated to
how I'm killing you

It sparked an interest in the class. One of my students told me the following, "That shit's like Shakespeare. All poetic and shit." I made a vow to e-mail Metallica, the authors of one of the best anti-drug songs of my generation. My students are hardcore Rap lovers. The thought of these kids liking the lyrics and wanting to know where it was from was awesome. Of course when they found out there was a quiet pause.

Ah, the joys of introducing Metal to students without them knowing.....

No comments: