18 December 2006

Reality In The Inner City

This morning when I got to school I was informed that one of my new students was killed. This boy was a quiet kid. Within the 2 weeks he was in my class he made up all of the quarters work and with excellent handwriting too. This poor 17 year old kid was playing basketball int the park on the westside when he and 2 other kids he was playing with were shot. He was the only one that was killed. I was numb. I know things like this happen and I know it is an inner city reality but the sense of loss is so great because this kid wanted to succeed in the Alternative School System. He stayed away from the gangbangers and trouble makers and still this young life was cut short.

As a Teacher I mourn but have no idea the sense of loss his Mother is feeling.If anything happened to my son like that I would want to die with him. So much sadness in the inner city.

No comments: