17 July 2008

Some irritation

My sons brother Justin called. He wants to visit with my son this week. I have no problem with that. In fact, since Justin has returned home to his mothers house I encourage it. I think it is very important for my son to build his family relationships, even if that family does not include me. We are bringing my son to visit with his brother on Saturday. (Justin lives in a suburb an hour away from the city)

The part that really chaps me is, Justin asked if my son wanted to go visit with their Great-Grandmother. I hold no ill will towards Justin. If anything I know much more about the boys' family then he does. What bothers me is the way that woman treated me and my son after the death of my sons Grandmother, her daughter. I adored my sons Grandmother. She was a wonderful woman. She passed away so young, 40 years old. She loved my son and cared for me as well. Her mother was another story.

Just before the Grandmother passed, her then 13 year old daughter was becoming a handful for her. Jenna wasn't a bad kid, just a 13 year old with 13 year old drama. Debbie (the Grandma) asked if I could keep her for a while. I did so, gladly. After Debbie's death Jenna moved in with her father who was going through difficult times. The father asked if I could take over legal guardianship of Jenna. I agreed. Jenna was a good kid with bad things around her. Just before we finished the paperwork, the father died. This poor girl had lost both parents within 6 months. I was prepared to raise her myself, though I was only 25 at the time. Her Grandmother called my house and asked me to bring Jenna to her house for a family meeting. I thought this was a very good idea. That way the family and I could make the arrangements for her to stay with me. That was not to be.

Instead of a family meeting it turned into, "You are not Jenna's blood. She can't stay with you." When I reminded them that my son was her "blood". The Grandmother replied, "Steve (my son's biological father) is my blood. We don't have proof that your son is." I reminded her that her own daughter acknowledged my son as her grandson. Her reply was, "I am not my daughter. My concerns are with my blood." From that moment on I was dismissed. Jenna was taken and moved from one bad situation to the next. That woman never once asked about my son, never inquired and cared. Now all of a sudden wants a re-introduction into my sons life? The Grandchild she did not even consider as her own?

I know I should not be as angry but I am. They do not deserve to know my wonderful son. My child has turned out great without their influence.

Just a rant...

2 comments:

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Let him make the decision.

Bats in the Belfry said...

I always do. Sometimes he is still the duckling that follows his mother. I try to explain independent thinking. Hopefully he will gain more confidence and go for it.